Thursday, February 24, 2005

'Blogging:' the newspaper story

Just came from the weekly features department meeting, where the conversation turned to blogging and New Media and grassroots journalism and self-programmed media and the future of advertising.

Some of us were passionately interested, others weren't. There was some skepticism, but some of that might change as people find out more on their own.

One of the things that is clear to me is that the average MSM employee stays so close to the edge in terms of deadlines and workload and stress that there just isn't time or energy for exploring new possibilities that don't show promise for quick return on investment. We're the people who should be tracking this most intensely, but the general knowledge base is pretty average-American.

I've broached some of these topics in the past, but for whatever reason, today the general subject took hold, and now I find myself with a story on "blogging" for mid-March. It will come on the heels of my story about podcasting.

(and I don't know what I'm going to say)