Wednesday, February 16, 2005

More on Winer/Rhinehart

5. I can sense that the interview is boring Dave, so when Andy comes back in I give him a reprieve. "I figured you'd take longer than this," Andy says. "I remember some of your interviews." Thanks, A-Train.

6. We go to a coffee shop. This is fun: the ice is well broken, and the talk is more free-form. I'm still worry that I'm too much at the center of things. Andy's not usually the most talkative guy and I'm more like a verbal geiser, so I worry I'm stepping all over him.

7. objective/subjective. I admit that personal objectivity is impossible but contend that objectivity is a process. a person isn't objective, but a person can work through the process of ojectivity to produce more valuable information. General agreement. Dave points out that he's a scientist, understands all that, but that journalism isn't even in the ball game when it comes to that kind of objectivity. I agree. So why don't we consider using these tools to create it?

8a. We talk just a bit about crediblity scoring for journalists/news organization/news sources, etc. I suggest that it could be a membership relationship, sort of like the Associated Press. Dave asks "Bloggers too?" Well, why not? Membership would be optional, but being a member gives you a better shot at being taken seriously. The value here would develop over time. Dave ponders some kind of blogger "buddy system" whereby three knowledgeable people would vouch for a fourth person's credibility in the event of a dispute.

8b. Dave later describes the coffeehouse talk as being almost like a brainstorming session.

9. Back at the H-J, Dave blogs in andy's office and links to us. I cringe. This blog has only been up for about six weeks and I'm getting linked from Scripting News? Mixed emotions: one should appreciate unexpected gifts but beware unearned status.

10. Dave doesn't like stuff: He doesn't like Andy's new aggregator, he makes big statements about journalism and everything that's wrong with it. He tells me I'm going to get my story wrong, because journalists always do. But there's nothing mean in the way he says this stuff. Somebody else saying this would be like nails on a chalkboard. Dave says it and ... well, OK. Right or wrong, it doesn't FEEL personal.